W ith the belief that knowledge-and its practical application-can deter an individual from criminality, the following curriculum is presented. The goals are twofold:
- A sound basic education.
- Vocational training with an emphasis on technology
AcademicAssessment of academic skills and instruction in basic subjects:
- Math (basic up to calculus)
- Reading (beginning to college level)
- Writing (emphasis on essay writing)
- Study skills development
- Instruction in the use of Microsoft Office
- Instruction in Python & Ruby computer programming
- Instruction in how to develop presentations using Keynote and PowerPoint
Employment|H.E.A.R.T. 2 H.E.A.R.T., Inc. views employment as an integral part of a clients’ treatment plan. The objective of Employment Services is to assist and monitor clients in progressing from visualizing and setting realistic work expectations and goals, to obtaining and maintaining employment at the clients’ fullest capacity. This is accomplished by working with clients utilizing the evidence based Supported Employment Model. Supported Employment is a way to move people from dependence on a service delivery system to independence via competitive employment. The guiding principles of Support Employment are: Employment Service are integrated with all other phases treatment including, mental health, education, case management and legal Competitive employment in the community is the goal Client job search starts as soon as a client expresses interest in working Follow-along supports are continuous Client choice in designing plan is essential Participation in Employment Services is based on client choice United States Department of Labor: http://www.dol.gov/odep/archives/fact/supportd.htm
- Comprehensive mental health assessment of clients which incorporates identification of client strengths and areas of challenge.
- Recommendations regarding appropriate and necessary services client may need to access to support their success upon re-entry to the community.
- Individual psychotherapy for 12-18 months to build internal capacities, skills and strengths around areas of challenge client is facing. (For example, anger management; stress management; integration of traumatic experiences; substance abuse treatment; healthy relationships; non violent communication etc.)
- Individualized treatment plan for clients which outline therapeutic goals.
- Consultation with case management and other staff to support comprehensive case management services that can address individualize client needs so as to support client success in meeting goals.